It’s challenging to make your message stand out from all the ‘noise’ out there. Emails, tweets, facebook invites, text messages, and advertisements – the list goes on.
Here are 8 key points to help you get your message heard:
1. Tune into “WIIFM” – Whether it is an audience of one or one hundred and one, think about tuning into radio station “WIIFM” – What’s In it For Me?.
2. Dangle a Carrot – Tell them there’s an important reason to hear you out. Ask something like, “Would you like to find an easy way to cut half an hour off your work day?” Then deliver.
3. Enthusiasm is contagious – If you sound excited your listeners will be too. An unemotional, monotone speaking style is very hard to listen to.
4. Make your point early -. The best approach is to start with the equivalent of a headline that ‘nails’ the point you want to make; then go into the ‘why’ and the ‘how to’.
5. KISS – Keep It Short and Simple – You have to deliver facts quickly and concisely because attention spans are short.
6. Three is the Magic Number – Research shows that when it comes to unsolicited information, people can’t absorb more than three major points without losing focus.
7. Techno Babble – To ensure clarity, use only words that are commonly used in conversation.
8. Engage – Involve your audience by getting them to think.
And the final word . . .
Be Yourself, Everyone Else is Taken!
Now go Get Connected!
Cathy Kuzel is one connected woman! With 20+ years of experience as a successful Entrepreneur, she is recognized across Canada for her in-house and public seminars on sales and customer service. Cathy is the Founder of The Connected Woman in Vancouver, BC, Author of “Are You a Collector or a Connector?” and is a networking maven.