They’re there. Files upon files. Folders upon folders. You can’t see them, but they’re taking up TONS of space on your hard drive AND they’re keeping you from doing what you do best!
It’s one thing to create and build a valuable resource library, but have you crossed the line from researcher to hoarder? One of the biggest challenges we can face in business is to cease and desist from searching for more and more information.
Clutter, in whatever form it takes, whether we can see it or not, uses energy. Energy to find it, save it and search through it.
Here are 5 success tactics that can move you from hoarder to staying focused:
1. Ancient History -all that information you’ve collected that is 3 years and older is probably outdated. Delete it.
2. Market Niche – everything that does NOT apply to your market niche needs to go. TIP: Can’t let go? Give it a purpose – send that article, blog or whitepaper to a colleague whose business focus aligns with that piece.Then delete it.
3. Unsubscribe – you won’t hurt that person’s feelings if you remove yourself from their mailing list. If the content is not addressing your needs in your business RIGHT NOW then it’s clutter.
4. Date it- when you save information, date it. Name the file with the date preceding it.
5. GOOGLE – You can find anything and everything WHEN YOU NEED IT! There’s no reason to download every piece of information you come across because you ‘might’ need it.
Prioritize, organize and create strict guidelines for the information you feel you must keep. Regularly update and weed out files from your database that aren’t current, pertinent or relevant.
Whenever you clear ‘clutter’, you create space to attract fresh, new and innovative ideas and people.
Now go get connected!