Become a Mentor
You can make a difference in the lives and businesses of women entrepreneurs! Become a mentor to share your hard-earned knowledge with a new business owner.
We have women all over BC who are looking for experienced business owners to help them navigate the early stages of their business growth in our One-to-One Mentoring and Peer Mentoring programs, and we need more mentors to match them with.
Since 2007, we have hosted over 1,400 women in our mentoring programs. Our program is unique because we personally interview every applicant to match the mentee’s gaps with the strengths of the mentors so you know your time is well spent.
Ninety-five percent of our mentors say that their mentee match was good or excellent, and 67% choose stay in touch long after their mentoring cycle is over because they enjoy the relationship!
You don’t need to have all the answers. You offer your experience, and we’ll provide:
- Training on how to be a mentor
- A mentee who is open to having input from a mentor and excited about reaching her business goals
- Worksheets and support materials
- Support for your mentee from a personal Business Advisor, who can provide specific training and resources to develop hard skills
If you have any questions about becoming a Mentor, check out these FAQs, or reach out to Kaitlyn McConnell, Mentoring Program Manager: email@example.com.
- Share your business experience and knowledge to shorten the learning curve for new business owners
- Make a positive impact in your mentee’s business and empower her to take control of her future—95% of mentees feel confident after working with their mentor, compared to 39% before entering the program
- Give back to your community
- Make new connections with a network of volunteers throughout the province
- Learn new skills—75% of WEC mentors say that being a mentor has helped them in their own business
As our mentees say…
“My mentor was such a shining example to learn from! She is sweet and caring, but also makes sure to hold you accountable! The last year has been totally beyond my wildest dreams! When I first started Pop Media, I NEVER would have thought I would have been able to do all of this, especially at such an early stage in the business. It just goes to show that my only barrier is what I think is possible.”
I really appreciated the opportunity to be a part of this group. It was very supportive and beneficial, it helped set my mindset for the week. I walked away a more confident business owner with a book full of new ideas and inspiration.
With my mentor’s guidance, I finally launched my online shop and I’m also now more motivated in completing daily/weekly tasks. In the last 6 months of the mentorship program, I would say that my time management has become better and staying focused on my business goals with a mentor really helped!
As our mentors say…
I was a mentor with Women’s Enterprise Centre for 5 years. I thoroughly enjoyed working with young entrepreneurial women who not only appreciated what I had to contribute, but taught me a great deal about myself in the process.
Mentoring in my opinion is a way for anyone in business to give back to their community, by helping an individual survive and thrive. Being a mentor enriched my life by the simple act of sharing perspectives and experiences with a fellow entrepreneur. I would encourage all female entrepreneurs to consider a mentoring relationship with support from Women’s Enterprise Centre.
Volunteering has been wonderful for me this year as I am building my contacts, my skills, and my confidence as a consultant. My mentee has been a delight!
I am thrilled at how much work these ladies have put into the program. Thanks for allowing me to be part of this amazing program. I learned so much from them and felt they learned so much about themselves.
To be a mentor, you should have:
- Over five years, or equivalent experience, operating your own business
- The willingness to communicate, empathize and inspire trust
- The availability to commit to six sessions over a six-month period (minimum of 2-3 hours per month)