Women and Tech
No matter the type of business you’re in – whether it’s investing in tech, creating tech or anything in between – you’ll need fundamental business skills, operations and networks to make it fly.
At WEC, we’re here to help you with the business side of your venture. We can support you with complimentary business advisory services and resources to develop your cash flow projections, growth plan and more, plus skills training and mentoring.
If you have any questions, contact us or call us at 1.800.643.7014 ext. 112.
We can help you navigate the financing continuum so you can pursue the correct type of financing for your business type and stage.
Women’s Enterprise Centre offers only term loans, so a business loan from WEC may not be the best option for funding your tech business. As well, our financing program requires your business to be already generating revenue from sales.
Learn more about the financing continuum below and get in touch with us once your business has revenue from multiple customers.
Sources of funding for tech businesses
Below are some organizations that provide funding or tax incentives to technology companies. Be sure to click through both tabs.
- BDC Capital Women in Technology (WIT) Fund: One of the world’s largest venture capital funds dedicated to investing in women-led technology companies. It will invest $200 million over the next five years to help bridge the gender gap in technology and investment companies.
- Beehive Holdings: An angel fund focused primarily in seed to Series A investing with a sweet spot to support diversified teams. The companies they invest in address challenges and opportunities associated with products and services that are mostly used by women.
- Disruption Ventures: Invests in businesses that solve real problems, with teams that are committed to succeed, in markets that have high growth potential and in companies that have a female founder or females in leadership roles.
- Female Funders: Empowers thousands of women to become the angel investors of tomorrow through blended education, investment opportunities, and a global community.
- Pique Ventures: An impact investment and management company that enables a diverse investor community to pursue integrated investing. They manage Pique Fund, an inclusive angel fund focused on women-led technology ventures.
- SheEO: A global community of women radically transforming female innovators are financed, supported, and celebrated.
- StandUp Ventures: Invests in seed-stage technology companies with at least one woman in a C-level leadership position within the company and an equitable amount of ownership.
- BC Innovator Skills Initiative (ISI) Grant: Find out if you qualify for up to $10,000 a year to hire a student for a business or tech role.
- FrontFundr: An online investment platform that bridges the gap between investors and growth companies.
- National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP): Provides advice, connections, and funding to help Canadian small and medium-sized businesses increase their innovation capacity and take ideas to market.
- Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED) Program: Tax incentives provided by the Government of Canada to encourage Canadian companies of all sizes and in all industry sectors to conduct scientific research and experimental development.
- Tech Co-op Grant: Offered by Innovate BC, this grant provides up to $10,800 per year in funding to hire co-op students.
- VANTEC Angel Network: A group of angel investors who support promising BC-based entrepreneurs in technology ventures with angel investment, advice and connections. They host monthly angel investment meetings where 8-12 early stage companies present their business and investment opportunity to an audience of angel investors, and are are often the first investor community where startups pitch.
Accessing Support from the Tech Ecosystem
While we’re not focused on supporting women in tech specifically, we have built relationships with tech-focused organizations around the province, which specialize in funding and developing women-led tech ventures. Check out this directory below to connect with the right network. Be sure to click through both tabs.
- BC Tech Association: Women in Tech: Part of the BC Tech Association that focuses on supporting women in tech.
- BC Women in Technology (BCWiT): A core group of women, members of Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of British Columbia (ASTTBC), representing various disciplines in the technology field.
- Innovation Canada Platform: Simply fill in a few blanks about your business and what you’re trying to accomplish, and the platform delivers a list of relevant resources and support.
- Island Women in Science and Technology (iWIST): A not-for-profit society, based in Victoria, that builds and supports a community for women in STEM.
- Make Possible: A free mentoring network to advance professionals in science and technology careers.
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST): A not-for-profit organization that promotes, encourages and empowers women and girls in science, engineering and technology.
- Tech Ladies: A worldwide community that connects women with jobs and opportunities in tech.
- Westcoast Women in Engineering, Science and Technology (WWest): Engages industry, the community and students to increase the awareness and participation of women and other under-represented groups in STEM fields of study and careers.
- Women in Communications and Technology (WCT): A national association that provides networking, mentoring and professional development opportunities for women in the information, communication, media and technology industries.
- Women in Tech World: A a national nonprofit dedicated to creating community driven plans and educational programming to support and advance women in tech.
- Online Market Validation Training Program: This is a free, self-guided online program, open to anyone in BC with a tech or small business idea. It uses multimedia learning modules, videos, and venture-building assignments to help you validate your market and assess your business idea.
Upcoming Tech-Focused Events & Workshops
Below are upcoming events for female founders.
Upcoming Events › Tech Events
Scaling Up for Global Growth Get Actionable Insights to Grow Your Customers, Capital and Team. From the fastest growing companies to the largest private investments and the country’s highest tech wages, BC is being recognized as Canada’s top tech market. Want to start and scale your company in BC? The #BCTECHSummit is the catalyst to help you make that happen. The #BCTECHSummit is Western Canada's largest annual technology event that brings together B.C.’s vibrant technology industry, builds cross-sector and cross-border…Find out more »