Relaxed work attire is a trend many entrepreneurs have embraced — some perhaps a little too much. In fact, a recent survey commissioned by The Creative Group found 39 percent of executives said workers and company representatives appear too casual when donning a relaxed look.
As an entrepreneur, we ARE the company and our appearance should reflect that..
Here are a few pointers to be ‘best dressed’ without the stress.
Under-do it. Unless your job is in the entertainment or fashion industry, clothing should never be distracting. Your personal style still can shine through–just don’t make it scream.
Look around. The old rule–dress for the position to which you aspire–still holds true. Notice whether your peers wear suits each day as opposed to business-casual clothing, and follow their lead.
Pay attention to details. From head to toe, your appearance should be polished and neat.
Temper dress codes with common sense. Keep in mind that guidelines on attire rarely are comprehensive. While it’s wise to review them, don’t assume they’re definitive–some of the rules may be unwritten.
Business Casual for Women. Let comfort and professionalism guide you when you’re dressing for business casual occasions.
1. Ask your human resources department for official guidelines.
2. Work for yourself and YOU are the HR department? Then ask HR at your client’s office what their guidelines are for casual attire.
3. Before you go casual, check your daily planner to make sure you don’t have any meetings that require formal business attire.
4. Wear shoes that are comfortable and appropriate for your outfit.
5. Keep the makeup light. Let your natural beauty shine through.
First impressions really do count so make sure your appearance give the perfect ‘introduction’.
Now go get connected!