Grants for BC Businesses
Contrary to popular belief, grants for business start-ups are few and far between. Aside from there being a limited pool of accessible money, the application process and reporting requirements can be a serious drain of your time. In most cases, the procedure required to obtain a grant is simply not a practical use of the new business owner’s time.
Women’s Enterprise Centre does not have a grant program, but we do offer small business loans.
We are not associated with the Small Business Finance Centre or The Centre.
When looking into small business grants, remember: You should never have to pay for grant information!
We recommend checking with Better Business Bureau before paying money for information about grants.
Funding Sources and Grants for BC Businesses
There are funding sources (including grants) for specific purposes, for which you may be eligible. The websites below contain more information on some funding sources available.
- Agriculture Environment Initiatives
- Investment Agriculture Foundation
- BC Buy local program
- Growing Forward 2
- Dairy Processing Investment Fund
Grants for Business and the Arts
- Strategic Innovation Fund
- Venture Capital Programs
- Employee Share Ownership Program
- Labour Sponsored Funds Program
- The British Columbia Arts Council
- ARTS BC
- Canada Council for the Arts Grants
- City of Vancouver Cultural Services, Grants, Awards & Support Programs
- Northern Development Competitiveness Consulting Rebate
- Canada Periodical Fund
- Film Incentive BC Tax Credit
- Production Services Tax Credit
Grants for Environmental Initiatives
- Canada’s funding programs for the Environment and Climate Change
- Northern Industries Innovation Fund
- Sustainable Development Tech Fund
- NextGen Biofuels Fund
- Program of Energy Research and Development (PERD)
Export Support Grants
Research and Technology Grants
- Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- National Research Council Canada – Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP)
- Concierge Service – Your Guide to Innovation
- Government of Canada support for apprentices
- Apprenticeship Incentive Grant
- Apprenticeship Completion Grant
- Women in Trades Training
Grants for Indigenous Entrepreneurs
- Aboriginal Business and Entrepreneurship Development
- Business Equity Fund
- Grant writing support through Northern Development Initiative Trust
- Procurement Strategy for Aboriginal Business
- Aboriginal Financial Institutions by Province
Grants for Wage Subsidies
- Province of BC – Targeted Wage Subsidies employment program
- Province of BC – Job Creation Partnerships employment program
- Province of BC – Labour Market Partnerships employment program
- Douglas College – Career Focus Wage Subsidy Program
- Get Youth Working Program
- Connect Canada Internship
- Canada-BC Job Grant
- Federal Government – Employee / Skills Subsidy or Grant Programs
- Vancouver Foundation Grants
If you have further questions about your small business financing options, call us at 1.800.643.7014 ext. 112 or send us a note and our Client Services Coordinator will be in touch.