When you just start building your business brand, you are never sure if anyone is even noticing you. Then one day, you open your email …
“Dear Cathy, we’ve never met but twice during this morning I was given your name as someone I had to talk to. My friend saw you speak at an event a few months ago, and the other person attended a Board of Trade event just recently where they met you.”
“Please don’t think it’s creepy but I googled you, saw your LinkedIn profile and decided to get in touch with you.”
Yup. It really happened and when it did that first time, I was doing the ‘yippy skippy’ dance – and then I went to the ‘dark side’.
“Is this person for real?” “Who’s talking about me?” “What are they saying?” “Can I live up to it?”
Then I remembered. DUH! That’s what I do … I am purposefully getting out there so people notice me and talk about me. (key word: purposely) .
I tell my coaching clients, I’m not going to make you rich and famous (you can do that yourself!) and I don’t teach theory. I teach small, simple things that if you do them consistently, you will get results. So here’s five small and simple things that you can do to get noticed and remembered.
- Get out of the house everyday. Which means get up, get dressed (nicely) do your hair and remember your business cards.
- Be natural, be 100% YOU. If that means you’re going to look a little foolish – so what.
- Make networking a priority in your business especially if you are just starting out. Don’t stop networking ever. EVER.
- Have a really simple message about who you are and what you do. Don’t embellish because you will mess it up. (yes you will…)
- SPEAK! …at the front of the room. Getting in front of a group is the fastest way to get known as the expert in your field. If you’re not the presenter, stand up and ask a question even if it’s a simple request. – “Hi, Cathy Kuzel, Business Development Strategist and Your Connection to ALL Things Small Biz. Could you please repeat those last statistics? Thanks!”
Now Go Get Connected!