Giving a quality presentation is one of the most inexpensive and impactful ways to market your business and your expertise. You don’t have to be a professional speaker to do it well.
The best presenters are those who convey a passion for their business in an honest, personal way. As a presenter, your goal is to have every audience member feel like they’ve had a personal conversation with you.
Here are simple tips to make you shine:
1. Begin working on your presentation NOW! Don’t wait until the last minute. Starting early will give you time to develop your ideas and practise.
2. Smile – a lot! Audiences appreciate a warm smile.
3. Make eye contact with everyone. Quality eye contact will make you look more professional. It also helps you create a connection with the audience.
4. Pause often. Count to five in your head. A quality pause will catch the attention of the audience. Be careful not to fill pauses with filler words such as “ah” or “um.”
5. Practise your skills regularly. You can’t expect to be good at something you don’t practise! Look for opportunities in your community to practise such as chairing a meeting, acting as master of ceremonies at a local event, or making a toast at a personal celebration.
Keep working at your presentation skills and you’ll notice an improvement each time.
Sarah Daviau is the owner of Piece of Cake Communications in Victoria. Piece of Cake Communications shows people how to become confident and effective communicators . Opened in March 2009, Piece of Cake Communications provides one-on-one coaching and workshops to individuals and businesses.