As a business owner you should look for the following four qualities when hiring an accountant:
- Is the accountant professionally designated? Why is it important?
- What is the accountant’s experience?
- What is the level of service you will get and need?
- What personality traits are you looking for or work well for you?
A professional designated accountant not only goes through intensive education to get their designation, their practice undergoes regular practice review to ensure quality is maintained at a high standard. This is an important aspect for a business, as you want to ensure your trusted advisor not only has the qualification but also is governed by an association that sets high standards of service.
What is the accountant’s experience in your particular industry? Every industry has its particular intricacies. Ideally, you want to look for an accountant that understands the intricacies of your particular industry. You also want to look for an accountant that has experience in other industries and will have the ability to combine successful methodologies observed and learned from other industries. It is impossible to be an expert in all matters. However, an experience accountant has worked in various industries and should be well rounded.
Level of service
- What is the level of service you are looking for?
- What is your accountant methodology to approach its clients?
- Would you be satisfied if you interact with the accountant annually for year-end work or would you prefer to develop a long- term relationship with your accountant and for your accountant to become your trusted advisor?
- Is your accountant a phone call away?
- How approachable is your accountant?
Accountants, specifically professionally designated accountants receive the same training and therefore have the same technical knowledge. So what sets us apart? Our personality; ability to think outside the box, how we approach things, our passions, etc. As an entrepreneur, your passion and dedication to your business should be shared by your accountant.