A song, a dance and inspiring personal stories! Stories of turning weaknesses into strengths, getting empowered, setting audacious goals, and overcoming barriers to reach those goals. This was my experience when I recently attended PowHERtalks in Vancouver, a well-attended event that featured women who spoke on a wide range of topics including leadership, business, sports, arts, community building, physical and emotional wellness.
From a food philosopher to a photographer, from an award-winning mortgage broker to a brand strategist, from social entrepreneurs to business coaches, these women are making an impact in our communities. Eighteen women were each given nine minutes to share their personal journeys, challenges, successes and their wisdom and every one of them packed a punch.
Below are a few takeaways from the PowHERtalks event:
- We are all connected. Everybody’s experience contributes and offers great teaching and value to another person.
- Realise “YOU” are important. Women are so busy in taking care of others that they forget themselves.
- Always create possibilities. The way you respond to another person makes a difference. Compassion, kindness, and empathy open doors of opportunities.
- Be authentic. Do not justify reasonable behavior. Authenticity is powerful, peaceful and it sets you free.
- Do not prejudge. Bring your whole self to an interaction and see people for who they really are instead of what they do.
- Do social good. Do something for others every day. Bring positive change in the world. Be of service to others.
- Conflict is an opportunity. Conflict is not always negative. Step into it and you may discover opportunities.
- Create entrepreneurial communities. Economies thrive when entrepreneurial hubs are strong. Recruit champions and supporters.
- Delegate. We cannot do it alone. Look for support.
- Be present where others are. The magic happens at the periphery. Go beyond your business. If you want to create a transformational business, you must be present where others are present.
- Be the change. Change is never easy. We have to work at it. Know what you stand for. Know what your values are. If you know who you are, you can always reinvent yourself with grace.
The speakers included Tanis Frame, Gina Best, Victoria Maxwell, Kare Jacoba, Steely Springham, Maggi Woo, Angela Thurston, Sherry Strong, Christina Benty, Jacqueline Way, Loretta Cella, Jo Dibblee, Heather White, Rosemarie Barnes, Christina Stewart, Aileen McManamon, Jamie Munro and Angie Barnard.
PowHERtalks speaker series celebrates and connects women. A lifestyle + leadership event, it has already been held successfully in Nanaimo, Sechelt and Vancouver. Visit their website to learn more about the upcoming events.